Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Bandō Tamasaburō V

His full name: 五代目 坂東 玉三郎 Godaime Bandō Tamasaburō. Born in 1950, versatile kabuki actor. He is best known for his onnagata roles, but also plays lion and men's parts. I saw once Wistaria Musume, and I fell under the spell. I forgot he was onnagata. After it I saw everything I could find.
Tamasaburō has also appeared in a number of films and special dance performances such as BESETO in 2001, which celebrated the entertainment traditions of China, Korea, and Japan. In 1996, he collaborated with Yo-yo Ma and performed at the Suntory Hall in Tokyo, dancing dramatically to Johann Sebastian Bach's "Suite No. 5 for Unaccompanied Cello." He also performed alongside taiko drummers Kodo in 2006, as part of Kodo's 25th anniversary celebration. (wiki)
There is some inexplicable grace in his dance.

 
 
Few videos:
Sagi Musume:

Wisteria Maiden:




Tamasaburō has quite known follower:

Saotome Taichi: