Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Jeondeung Temple

  I came accross one article about the Annals of Joseon stored inside this temple complex while I was looking something more on historical accounts kept in Korea. Thankfully, 1181 volumes kept in the Jeondeung-sa on Ganghwa Island remain undamaged. If it wasn't for those annals, probably Dong Yi, or SKKS would have not come to life^^. This temple has a very long history, reaching back to the Koguryeo period and King Sosurim. It was built by a monk name Adowhasang.
The fortress that the temple is part of, is built with stone.
For more reading on this beautifully located and crafted temple and fortress: here.
And I have to say it with hand over my heart - I love the green and red combinations in Korean architecture. I like the colorful elements. When you look closer to the eaves and bracketing, you will see the intricate patterns and detail that can cause a whirlpool of colors before the eyes. And I like how they used stone in their work. It is often said that Chinese architecture is made of the brick, Korean of the stone, and Japanese of wood.
Pictures:


The annals are kept here




And videos: