Friday, December 20, 2019

[Advent drama calendar 2019] Day 19: What Drama You Wanted To Watch But Ended Up Disappointed?

 

The first place goes ex-aequo to two sci-fi shows. This genre is my favorite and I'm ready to stick to something if it engages me even a little. I don't really need for the show to be The Expanse level of complexity, real science and full bloodied characters, I just don't want to split my skull open every fifteen minutes. 


First, The Nightflyers. At first I was mildly uncertain when I learned it's based on G. Martin's work. I am not a huge fan so I never read extensively of his works. He managed to mess up his own opus vitae - A Song of Ice and Fire, so I was cautiously approaching the series. According to TVmaze:
Set in the year 2093, Nightflyers is a psychological thriller that follows a team of scientists aboard the Nightflyer, the most advanced ship ever built, as they embark on a journey to find other life forms. Their mission takes them to the edge of the solar system, and to the edge of insanity, as they realize true horror isn't waiting for them in outer space - it's already on their ship.
I mean, who wouldn't want to watch it?? I have to admit - the show also drove me to the edge of my insanity. Characters made no sense, except maybe for Thale, but he was the oddball (an empath able to sense and influence people's emotions, which he sometimes took advantage of), their decisions were random and the whole nice plot was just butchered (nomen omen like the whole crew). I'm sorry, Thale, you deserved better.


The other is Another Life. I was excited because: first - Katee Sackhoff and second:
Another Life centers on astronaut Niko Breckinridge who is focused on searching for alien intelligence. She leads a crew on a mission to explore the genesis of an alien artifact. As Niko and her young crew investigate, they face unimaginable danger on what might very well be a one-way mission.
Instead we got so messed up plot I was just wishing everyone would die and relieve me from the troubles of finishing it. 

I watched both of them so you don't have to.

Honorable mentions: The Tale of Nokdu, Prison Playbook, Search: WWW, One Spring Night - because THEY ENDED!! How dare they!