Friday, December 09, 2011

Curses and courses


   I'm starting to believe in curses. Happy me lived her entire life shunning this and putting this into mythology pages. But it's real! It has to be real, because ever since August I had maybe 2 weeks of relatively good health. And now probably students who haven't learned kanji on time wished the classes were cancelled.
Oh well, there is a rational reason for that - my flat is too cold and too crappily built so accidents and sicknesses happen like that. But what's even more suspicious - ever since I started working here, I never was on a sick leave. Hmm... I bet it's Illiterati... I mean Illuminati's doing!



 Joking aside, I was wondering these days about curses and their mechanism. 
I'm a big fan of sci-fi and fantasy, but I prefer those fantasy books where the "magic" element is almost non-existent. I was always uncomfortable with that, since my first read book, that is Pinocchio (see, even in my childhood days, I envisioned The Table and his sort in Kpop, I knew!). All these wands, glands and magic dust thingy were putting me off quickly. There was no "meat" in those. I was looking for something I could ponder over, for something that could blow my mind (too much Kpop, too much). I found legends, myths and Ursula Le Guin, all before I was 12. Oh OK, let's face it - I was a nerdy kid, I read everything that had letters and I learned everything in a sheer panic it would disappear if I didn't learn. 
So, those books, those stories had "fabric", had this core I was always dreaming of. In Mrs. Le Guin's books magic exists, but it's not the pivotal for the entire story. 
I hate books that place magic at the centre of the story, because it means authors are intellectually incapable of explaining or reasoning other than "barambarrum abracadabra" and - ladies and gentlemen - we have new set of china. 

   I remember when we had Literary Theory courses, and during the practical part we had this discussion about the logic in fantasy books. Professor asked us "is it illogical if in a relative world bread is available from tree?" (or were those babies, don't remember, t'was long time ago). One girl said yes, and I said no. It's illogical according to our physics, chemistry and biology. If author creates a world, one must explain the rules that bind this world together, one must explain how things work, simple as that. If one doesn't do this, can't or the idea of the novel overgrew him/her - here comes stupid use of magic. It explains such things that are illogical, and - sadly - remain illogical without explanation. magic doesn't make them any better.

Digression: I can barely hear, so I hope 마음으로.. (Voice Of My Heart) is not too loud right now, because it's dampened weirdly in my ears. Neighbours probably are not into Kpop.

   We had this small talk with mah wuv Ara about modern books for teens and all that merry crowd. She showed me some literature that is highly popular. I puked all my pills I took minutes before.
Young people complain that they are forced to read Dumas' books, and "they are boring, not depicting their own lifes, bla blah". You know, in the yore, authors described something more than just your pathetic excuse of life consisting of facebook, fucking and weed all by the age of 15.
In those modern "books", when anyone who can form a sentence is a writer, authors gather few characters, pour them with mystery, alienation, angst, emo and hell knows what else, dip them in a crime, and sprinkle with oversexualization. Voila, a book is ready. This is why we have to deal with 3762528 volumes of Twilight-level crap in one series. Because a story that has no 'meat' in it can be extended and extended.

   Back to the point, because fever is taking over and I'm rambling again. Soon I start talking about The Diva completing Miss Korea outfit, no no... See, I'm not that predictable, haha!!
I demand logic for everything! In a book/show a winter can last 10 years. Illogical from our, Earth-centered point of view. But in some other world created by one author, when the explanation is given and makes sense - it's no longer illogical. In Ursula Le Guin's world, a winter can last years. Why? Because of the planet's size, orbit and rotation! The simplest, scientific, logical explanation and I ask no more questions.
In LOTR books Gandalf says one sentence that is clearly overlooked by all those who debuted and didn't read the book closely. While climbing the Caradhras, halfbrains that hobbits are, ask him to create light with his stuff. Irritated Gandalf says that even he is unable to burn the ice (or something along, the book is too far and I have no will to reach and check). This is the logic I'm talking about - ice can't be consummed by flames. 

   There is a terrifying logic in curses and fear of them. But where the fear is, there is also the power and motion. From the times immemorial people feared "the evil eye", "the bad word" etc. And again, it's in Ursula Le Guin's books word plays such important role. Word alone.
After all that, I'm starting to believe in curses. Not magic, not stupid spells and made-up bounds, but real curses, bad wishes uttered in the right time when Big Bertha was passing along.
Maybe fangirls hate me. Maybe students hate me. Both groups have the reasons, I admit freely. But I will recover and retaliate.

Muwahaha!! Probably this post makes no sense whatsoever. Oh wait, I haven't talked about what I wanted. Next time.

niga isseoya man yeogi ga paradise
eojiro neoreul gadwo beorin paradise, oh oh
kkae eoseon galsu eobtneun seulpeun paradise
yeongwonhi hamkke halsu itneun paradise, oh oh, oh oh oh

nanana...