Saturday, March 02, 2019

Saturday Poetry Corner 8: Obsession


Today is Charles Baudelaire with his sonnet.




 Another French poem butchered by English translation. I have to add, the Polish one is awesome. It relies the tempo, the rhythm and the deep, resounding sound of the original.


Obsession:


 Grands bois, vous m'effrayez comme des cathédrales;
Vous hurlez comme l'orgue; et dans nos coeurs maudits,
Chambres d'éternel deuil où vibrent de vieux râles,
Répondent les échos de vos De profundis.

Je te hais, Océan! tes bonds et tes tumultes,
Mon esprit les retrouve en lui; ce rire amer
De l'homme vaincu, plein de sanglots et d'insultes,
Je l'entends dans le rire énorme de la mer

Comme tu me plairais, ô nuit! sans ces étoiles
Dont la lumière parle un langage connu!
Car je cherche le vide, et le noir, et le nu!

Mais les ténèbres sont elles-mêmes des toiles
Où vivent, jaillissant de mon oeil par milliers,
Des êtres disparus aux regards familiers.

(from here)


Obsession

Great woods, you frighten me like cathedrals;
You roar like the organ; and in our cursed hearts,
Rooms of endless mourning where old death-rattles sound,
Respond the echoes of your De profundis.

I hate you, Ocean! your bounding and your tumult,
My mind finds them within itself; that bitter laugh
Of the vanquished man, full of sobs and insults,
I hear it in the immense laughter of the sea.

How I would like you, Night! without those stars
Whose light speaks a language I know!
For I seek emptiness, darkness, and nudity!

But the darkness is itself a canvas
Upon which live, springing from my eyes by thousands,
Beings with understanding looks, who have vanished.


— Translated by William Aggeler

Obsession

You forests, like cathedrals, are my dread:
You roar like organs. Our curst hearts, like cells
Where death forever rattles on the bed,
Echo your de Profundis as it swells.

My spirit hates you, Ocean! sees, and loathes
Its tumults in your own. Of men defeated
The bitter laugh, that's full of sobs and oaths,
Is in your own tremendously repeated.

How you would please me, Night! without your stars
Which speak a foreign dialect, that jars
On one who seeks the void, the black, the bare.

Yet even your darkest shade a canvas forms
Whereon my eye must multiply in swarms
Familiar looks of shapes no longer there.


— Translation by Roy Campbell

(from here)


 In Polish:

 Opętanie

Puszcze leśne, jak katedr straszne wasze łona
Wyjecie jak organy, a w serc waszych toni,
W tych przybytkach żałoby, gdzie łkanie nie kona,
Echo waszych ponurych De Profundis dzwoni.

Nienawistneś mi, morze! Twych fal łoskot dziki
Odnajduję w mej duszy. Ten pełen goryczy
śmiech zwyciężonych, łkania, bluźnierstwa i krzyki
Słyszę, gdy morze śmiechem swym bezbrzeżnym ryczy.

Ja bym cię kochał, Nocy! bez twych gwiazd miliona,
Bo ich światło to mowa stokroć powtórzona!
A próżni, mroku szuka moja dusza smutna!

Lecz, niestety, ciemności nawet są jak płótna,
Gdzie tysiączne postacie odtwarza me oko
Osób znikłych, lecz tkwiących w pamięci głęboko.

(transl. Stanisław Korab-Brzozowski)
(from my freaking head because I know it by heart, and couldn't be bothered)