Sunday, January 03, 2016

The Man in the High Castle


I might have returned to the sweet bosom of Asian drama, but that does not mean I won't be posting something about some other TV entertainment. Especially if it involves Rufus Sewell.
First - The Man in the High Castle.
And it has been renewed for season 2!


   Philip K. Dick's novels are not easy translated onto the screen. It's the beauty of the book - it just has infinitely more possibilities than the film art. "The Man in the High Castle" is not the book people have in highest regards, if it comes down to his works. I have personal attachment to it - it was my first Dick's novel I have ever read. Right before "Ubik". Probably that's why I like all dystopic futures, "what ifs" and greys, greys, greys...
Those who read the book know what to expect.









The cast is superb! Rufus Sewell, Luke Kleintank, Rupert Evans, DJ Qualls, Cary Hiroyuki-Tagawa... Splendid mixture of talented, great, people who shine like diamonds here, despite not being the most popular names out there. The characters are something more than just lines and pixels on the screen, their entangled lives and cul-de-sac life choices will make you root for them (Joe!!). And some you can admire even for their cruelty.

I will not spoil the pleasure of watching because you really should watch it. That's my wholehearted recommendation I can make (and I do have a questionable taste sometimes).

Having said that, I need to make one more remark - this is not an easy watch. It's a creepy, bleak, cruel series.


The trailer:



Pictures from various websites: official one, Guardian, LATimes, tvreel, filmstarts, screencrush, screenshots from YT.