Monday, February 14, 2011

Who Likes Flowers?


   I've been hovering over this topic for over a month now. We had this conversation on DA or msn not once, and after some time devoted to digesting all horrible pics and news, I decided to write what's on my mind.
Of course, some will just disagree for the sake of disagreeing, some will curse me for eternity, but I hope some just nod silently. It might not be a big deal, considering how wide K-entertainment is, but some issues keep bugging me and when I'm irritated I start to develop an anger. This is why I procrastinated. I didn't want to write in the heat of things, because it might happen I couldn't control my harshness. Now, since I'm preoccupied with usual, mundane work, I can look at the problem with a cool heart (oh, can you? Really??).
My problem? My problem is this beauty obsession in Korea. I have nothing against someone being beautiful, but we should draw a line between "famous because of the beauty" and "famous because of the talent". Talent and beauty are seldom walking together. Of course, entertainers are bound to look attractive and stand out against normal people, I understand that they are also working with their bodies. But putting the physical appearance on the worshipped altar of "popularity" is complete nonsense as for me.
I guess everyone knows the term "kkotminam" (꽃미남).

   Korea has the tradition of comparing people to flowers. Hwarang were called "Flowers of the Youth". Fine. If a boy (and in my opinion only those up to 24 years old) is pretty - call him even Raffaello's Madonna, I don't really care. But for the love of sanity, don't call MEN kkotminam. Why there is such a strong pressure to classify certain actors in some categories? My blood boiled when I read a week ago that Park Shihu was called "Sad Flower", I thought I would crush my screen and strangle those who came up with this idiocy.
Serious actors don't need to be called pretty, it's burdensome for them. Only vain idiots may brag about their S-lines and ajumma curls. Only to them, their look is so important that they sacrifice good acting, self-esteem and respect of some group of fans.
Look is not everything, it's part of their line of work, that's obvious, but it's not the pivotal trait in the actor's life.
Lee Minho at 2010 MBC Drama Awards
   I do care (and I know not only me) about how those whom I support appear in public. I know that sometimes they have little influence over their outfit, bit it's not like they are brainless zombies that wear what they are asked to wear. I've been saying this for some time already, but the way they see you that's the way they describe you. I may not be the biggest fan of Lee Minho, but what this young man displays on different events, fanmeetings and regular appearance pleases me. I think: "He looks reliable. He takes his job seriously". Acting may be fun if you are an accountant and you were asked to assist as an 8th plan person. This is fun. But when someone aims higher, acting becomes a job. It's like with every job in this world. If you work as a freelancer, that's OK, you can sit in your room in bunny suit for all everyone care! But whenever an official meeting is planned - I don't think anyone in one's right mind would attend dressed like this.
Yes, LMH is also called "flower boy". 
Why did I ever mention him and not a random man from my (not that long) list? Because he is not on it and I can appreciate his efforts. Plus, he was born in the same year as "S-line Oddity". Hard to believe, right?
   For me calling someone like that is close to stigmatizing that person. In my language there is this saying: "a guy should be a little more attractive than the devil". But then again, I'm a bad, biased Westerner who doesn't understand the subtlety of Asian canons of beauty. I'm not a turpis-lover either, it doesn't hurt if the one I admire is attractive. But there are dozens of guys out there who are attractive and I don't admire them. Accidentally, all of those I like behave like normal people. They care about their image, and they care about their career in the years to come. In 2011 an artist builds up his/her image in 2021. Displaying idiocy will not help in a serious business later on. This is why KNG regretted his Bidam role. It jumped him to the enormous popularity, but he's seen ever since as the pretty boy from Queen Seondeok
Yes, KNG is also called "flower boy". Well, considering he's turning 30 next month (and PSH 33), they are eligible to be called "flower BOY". Why not? This is just so stupid I can't even get angry anymore. Oh, yes, even Kang Dongwon is called a "pretty boy". And this one just made me laugh really bad.
   What's the purpose of writing all that? To let everyone know that I hate "flower boy" trend. I hate the term and hate the fan(girl)s who sprinkle with this word every guy who is a bit better looking than a butcher from the neighborhood. I'm not one of the sheep flock that follow the rest.
   The term, and the whole built up fame around it, fucked up minds of young kyaaa-galls and society. Everyone HAS to be pretty (until your eyes bleed!), has to be skinny, has to be genderless as much as possible. Fangirls retouch pictures to remove any trait of blemishes, facial hair, and even wrinkles. They almost changed the face of Park Yucheon by retouching his left cheek (the upper one, ekhem...). They create dolls on the pictures. But then again, I don't think they care much about acting abilities. They watch movies/dramas with their own musical score in the background consisting of "Kyaa", "Oh, oh!! (in B-flat)" ( this one by a famous composer Teen In Sanity). They want "flower boys" and some of the younger idols give them that.
 Oh yes, I'm cruel enough to post those pics. The latest Diva idiocy.




Thank you very much, I take my men in their suits, shirts and with muscles on their arms. And with less styling gel on their hair. Anytime, anywhere.
And I won't stop bashing either The Diva and her... I mean his consecutive eyesores he displays, or the trends I personally disagree on.

Why fresia? One of my favorite flowers, that's all.

Kamsahamnida.